Chicken : 1 kg
Tomatoes : 2 (small, finely chopped)
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves : 2 sprig
Coconut milk : 1 cup
Oil : 1 tbsp
For grinding :
Cumin seeds : 3/4 tsp
Fennel seeds : 3/4 tsp
Coriander seeds : 11/2 tbsps
Dried red chillies : 7-8 or to your spice level
Pepper corns : 1 tsp
Cardamoms : 3 pods
Cloves : 2 nos
Cinnamon : 1″ stick
Curry leaves : 1 sprig
Oil : 1/2 tsp
Green chillis : 3-4
Garlic : 5-8 cloves
Ginger : 2″ piece
Poppy seeds(gasagasaalu) : 1 tsp
Method of Preparation :
1. Wash and cut chicken into medium sized pieces.
2. Soak poppy seeds in warm water for 10 mts.
3. Make a paste of the ginger, garlic, green chillies and poppy seeds. Keep aside.
4. Heat a frying pan to medium-high, add 1 tsp oil. When hot, add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves dried red chillis,curry leaves, stirring constantly until lightly roasted. Cool and grind to a powder.
5. Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.shallots/small onions and curry leaves and saute till transparent.
6. Add the chilli powder and turmeric powder and just stir for few seconds.
7. Add the grounded ginger,garlic,green chillie and poppy paste. Continue to stir and fry for about 4 minutes, drizzling little water to prevent sticking.
8. Add chicken and cook on high heat,stir until they are well coated with the masala for about 4-5 minutes.
9. Reduce to medium heat, add salt,tomatoes and combine well.
Cook the chicken for 4-5 mts, uncovered, Now add the coconut milk and 1/2cup of water allow to boil.
10. Turn the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the chicken is almost cooked, about 20-25 minutes. Open lid and combine well.
11. Finally add the ground masala powder and cook for 3 mts. Turn off heat.
12. Garnish with coriander leaves.Yummy chettinad chicken curry is ready.
13. Serve hot with white steamed rice, biryani, chapatis.